BY TJ GARCIA
Edinburg High’s gym will be rocking Friday night as it hosts TWO top ten basketball matches between longtime traditional hardwood powers.
The 956sports.com 7th-ranked Edinburg Bobcats boys (17-4, 4-0) will host the 5th-ranked PSJA North Raiders (20-5, 3-1) at 6 p.m., and immediately following that barn burner 956sports.com‘s No. 1 ranked Edinburg Lady Bobcats (23-5, 6-0) will host the No. 6-ranked PSJA North Raiders (21-6, 5-1).
The Edinburg Bobcats feature sophomore Antoine Woodard, the RGV’s second-leading scorer at 19.2 points per game. PSJA North is a tough-as-nails team that prides itself on defense and sharing the ball. The Lady Bobcats are lead by do-everything junior guard Jayla Santa Maria, the RGV’s third-leading scorer at 18.1 points per game. Meanwhile, PSJA North’s Mel Palacios enters the contest scoring 16.4 points per clip.
Both games are key District 31-6A games and may be the best combo of games so far this year. Get their early, pay one admission, get two great games.
The Edinburg-PSJA North games highlight one of the better basketball Fridays in the RGV so far this year. There are a bevy great match ups.
On the boys side:
- No. 2 Weslaco travels to No. 4 Los Fresnos. Both are undefeated in district and are loaded with talent. Great game.
- No. 3 McAllen Rowe plays host to cross-town rival McHi. Rowe is absolutely stellar with great shooting. McHi is solid.
- No. 1 Edinburg Vela goes to No. 10 Economedes. Econ looks to bounce back after Tuesday loss. Vela hitting its stride, rolling.
On the girls side:
- No. 2 Weslaco at Los Fresnos. Lots of district implications here. Lady Panthers have won four straight. Lady Falcons four out of five.
- Vela travels to Economedes. Not a highly-ranked game but a key match up with possible playoff implications for Vela.
- No. 3 Rio Grande City goes to Laredo Martin for a tough district battle. A win for RGC is key for playoff positioning.