Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    94

    Default I need info on how to start a Youth Basketball Team.. Maybe travel team..

    Hello, Im interested in starting a new youth 8-9 yr old basketball team. I have a few kids that want to play and possible travel around the valley to play.. I have some parents that will assist with coaching and i might have a sponsor for uniforms and such.. But i dont know how to get this started.. I would appreciated any info. We want to get this started ASAP..
    Last edited by t67stang; 03-15-2011 at 01:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    Contact coach Upchurch with the Hoopdawgs....Hoopdawgsbasketball.org

  3. #3
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    Contact coach Upchurch with the Hoopdawgs....Hoopdawgsbasketball.org
    I will contact him.. thanks..

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    He does a good job with his boys....gets them involved in a lot of tournaments all over the country......he isn't the smartest rooster but gets the job done

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    One of it football coaches knows him well

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t67stang View Post
    Hello, Im interested in starting a new youth 8-9 yr old basketball team. I have a few kids that want to play and possible travel around the valley to play.. I have some parents that will assist with coaching and i might have a sponsor for uniforms and such.. But i dont know how to get this started.. I would appreciated any info. We want to get this started ASAP..
    Go to aaubasketball.com gather the info you need. I suggest you start off right from the very Begging in the direction to the highest level of comp, ,,,, get the kids accustom to the real Rules of basketball and get your team reg as an AAU Team. there are lots of other youth basketball orgs but their top level Teams are miles behind the Top AAU programs. This way the kids are on track to compete at the level they will one day need to, to be really in the running for college Ball. Infact i believe you can qualify for AAU natl this yr. simply by default,,,,, Because there are probably no Local AAU Reg Teams in this Region...... I think thats probably how some teams in the distant past from the RGv qualified to attend AAU Natl.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    Inakfish, how does jesse's team titans fare vs defender select and has he played vs the Sudan boys yet?
    Last edited by lmoya; 03-15-2011 at 04:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inakfish View Post
    Go to aaubasketball.com gather the info you need. I suggest you start off right from the very Begging in the direction to the highest level of comp, ,,,, get the kids accustom to the real Rules of basketball and get your team reg as an AAU Team. there are lots of other youth basketball orgs but their top level Teams are miles behind the Top AAU programs. This way the kids are on track to compete at the level they will one day need to, to be really in the running for college Ball. Infact i believe you can qualify for AAU natl this yr. simply by default,,,,, Because there are probably no Local AAU Reg Teams in this Region...... I think thats probably how some teams in the distant past from the RGv qualified to attend AAU Natl.
    Well i dont want to travel too far.. I was thinking local travel maybe to harlingen, pharr, weslaco.. valley travel not outside the valley..

  9. #9

    Default

    Then what's the point of starting a team? If you start a team and only play in the valley then you will accomplish nothing. The sooner you get em out of here to play the sooner they will be ready to play. Work em hard and explain that your gonna take your lumps now (and trust me you will) but in time the results will be obvious. Good luck.
    p.s. You cant call em a traveling team if you dont travel.

  10. #10
    Varsity
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sports View Post
    Then what's the point of starting a team? If you start a team and only play in the valley then you will accomplish nothing. The sooner you get em out of here to play the sooner they will be ready to play. Work em hard and explain that your gonna take your lumps now (and trust me you will) but in time the results will be obvious. Good luck.
    p.s. You cant call em a traveling team if you dont travel.

    Well traveling to another city is travel enough for some parents.. I want something more that just playing in one city for example playing at the mcallen boys and girls club. That gets old.. I had spoken with some guy who had told me he had a team out of edinburg and they would play other cities like weslaco... pharr.. but not too much traveling outside the valley.. This is what i want.. Unfortunetly I do not know how to get this started and what leagues are out there that we can join.. So if anyone has any positive information that can share with me please do so.. I am not interested in why i should not start a valley travel team.. Thanks for any info. guys..

  11. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    U can enter local tournaments but most that do are traveling teams looking at getting a workout.....Hoopdawgs, hoopsters, stealth and other teams are traveling and developing teams that will win by 50 if u don't prepare ur kids....and believe me they will score 80 or 100 on u......not bashing or hating jst be prepared

  12. #12
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    647

    Default

    I think starting around here is a start and then you can slowly start going out of town.............parents have to buy in to your program.........traveling is going to be very expensive this summer.............look into fundraising

  13. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    Mero: how did u do in corpus ? I know u made it to final....

  14. #14
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Hoopdawgs and Hoopsters hold tournaments throughout the year and make money am ASSUMING for there team............example a very small tournament in Brownsville currently has 32 teams there charging 175 a team they will probably charge like 5 bucks at the door and have a concession stand.........they will make some money.......they have to pay referees normally like 20 bucks if the refs are any good....they will pay a gym fee but sometimes that fee is very minimal if the person holding the tournament knows the right people............so it can and does become a business......you can easily make 12 to 15 thousand profit in a bigger tournament..........and these are things that some parents are not aware of...its a money maker

  15. #15
    Heisman Winner
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    647

    Default

    my son did not go am not sure how they did.........who did they play in the finals?

  16. #16
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    Oh I don't remember but Hoopdawgs development lost to them by 3 in there first game....

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmoya View Post
    Inakfish, how does jesse's team titans fare vs defender select and has he played vs the Sudan boys yet?
    Yes, it was a walk through the park,,,,,,

  18. #18

    Default

    oops !
    Last edited by inakfish; 03-16-2011 at 04:15 PM.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sports View Post
    Then what's the point of starting a team? If you start a team and only play in the valley then you will accomplish nothing. The sooner you get em out of here to play the sooner they will be ready to play. Work em hard and explain that your gonna take your lumps now (and trust me you will) but in time the results will be obvious. Good luck.
    p.s. You cant call em a traveling team if you dont travel.
    Exactly !

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t67stang View Post
    Well traveling to another city is travel enough for some parents.. I want something more that just playing in one city for example playing at the mcallen boys and girls club. That gets old.. I had spoken with some guy who had told me he had a team out of edinburg and they would play other cities like weslaco... pharr.. but not too much traveling outside the valley.. This is what i want.. Unfortunetly I do not know how to get this started and what leagues are out there that we can join.. So if anyone has any positive information that can share with me please do so.. I am not interested in why i should not start a valley travel team.. Thanks for any info. guys..
    You should make qwalifing your players for AAu natl your goal,,,,, if you reg and run the local Dist or reginal qualifier here localy You should no doubt qualify to go.... or you could find out when San antonio or Htown has a quilifier and go to that. the idea being although it sounds like you are wanting to focuse on just having fun,,,,,,, always be willing to give yourself and the boy,s a dose of reality as to how they measure up to their peers in the state and nation. after all your tired of the lack comp or level of play at the Boy,s club i encourage ya,ll to go find out what it,s really all about ......

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •