Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Varsity

Default letters of intent

I just signed with Greensboro College in North Carolina for baseball and football (Long snapper). As a LHP, OF and 1B. I was wondering if anyone else was going on to play baseball in college from the class of 2011. I am coming from a program in which my High School Coaches didn't believe in me. My baseball coaches didn't even attend my signing. Well it just goes to show that if you are willing to work hard and believe in yourself dreams really do come true.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hall of Famer

Congrats

Legend

Great job kid, much success to ya

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by gonavy View Post
    I just signed with Greensboro College in North Carolina for baseball and football (Long snapper). As a LHP, OF and 1B. I was wondering if anyone else was going on to play baseball in college from the class of 2011. I am coming from a program in which my High School Coaches didn't believe in me. My baseball coaches didn't even attend my signing. Well it just goes to show that if you are willing to work hard and believe in yourself dreams really do come true.
    Congrats David.. I and Coach Cordon were proud to be one your coaches in your career and hope the best for you. Your dad and mom should be proud.... As for your coach, shame on him for not supporting this great young man. Good words David for all those who want to play college baseball and further their baseball career. Good luck in the future David and keep working hard....

Junior Varsity

Thanks everyone.

All Star

Congrats and Good Luck maybe thats why the Valley teams can't get to state other Harlingen South (it could be the coaching)

Hall of Famer

Chris Cantu from PSJA Memorial will be pitching at Ivy League Caliber Fisher College in Boston, close to Fenway.

Junior Varsity

Congrats Chris Cantu. Good luck at Fisher College. I'll make sure to follow how things go for him. Do they have a baseball website on the college website?
    You are so right Greek. We definitely got out coached against Loredo Alexander as we did last year against Church hill. I mean how many times does a Valley Coach have the talent he had last year. Some Coaches hang on to long and it just becomes a job for them. I mean nothing against the sophmore (Who only pitched freshman ball last year) he decided to put all of our season hopes on, but my I would have really loved to have had that chance to close the third game against Alexander. My playoff era was 0.00 in four innings pitched, 2H, 5K, and no walks. I mean I have done everything to help prepare myself for that moment. I played select baseball with a team from San Antonio for the past four years in which the Coaching Staff is former major league players. They always told me that I had what it takes to play at the next level, but still was never given any respect by my High School Coaches. Well maybe now that Coach Pompa's grandson graduated he will finally retire and stop hurting kids the way he does. Oh well I hope to prove the McAllen High School Coaches that they were wrong in their evaluations of me.

Hall of Famer

once again moody cal, carrol, get it done (and Robstown) and we're here sitting in the stands. You hit the nail on the head kid.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by nightrain34 View Post
    Chris Cantu from PSJA Memorial will be pitching at Ivy League Caliber Fisher College in Boston, close to Fenway.
    Congrats Chris... Your Dad should be proud....

Junior Varsity

good job kid keep working hard.....

Heisman Winner

Nick Escobar has accepted the offer to play for Texas AM International. We are so proud of him as he continues his career in college baseball. I will now have a Javalina and a Dustdevil, and yes they will play against each other next year.
    Congrats Big Nick!!!!

Way to go Nick!! Best of luck!

Junior Varsity

This is directly from the NCAA Division III Website:

"National Letter of Intent is the document a prospective student-athlete signs when he or she agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. According to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year to the student-athlete, provided he or she is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. An important provision of the National Letter of Intent program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs a National Letter of Intent. This prohibition requires participating institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once a National Letter of Intent is signed with another institution."

My question is? So what you really signed was a piece of paper that gives you "permission" to walk on, right? Signing an athletic scholarship is something very different.

This is from your post.

"Congrats Chris Cantu. Good luck at Fisher College. I'll make sure to follow how things go for him. Do they have a baseball website on the college website?
    You are so right Greek. We definitely got out coached against Loredo Alexander as we did last year against Church hill. I mean how many times does a Valley Coach have the talent he had last year. Some Coaches hang on to long and it just becomes a job for them. I mean nothing against the sophmore (Who only pitched freshman ball last year) he decided to put all of our season hopes on, but my I would have really loved to have had that chance to close the third game against Alexander. My playoff era was 0.00 in four innings pitched, 2H, 5K, and no walks. I mean I have done everything to help prepare myself for that moment. I played select baseball with a team from San Antonio for the past four years in which the Coaching Staff is former major league players. They always told me that I had what it takes to play at the next level, but still was never given any respect by my High School Coaches. Well maybe now that Coach Pompa's grandson graduated he will finally retire and stop hurting kids the way he does. Oh well I hope to prove the McAllen High School Coaches that they were wrong in their evaluations of me."

First of all, if you are paying money they will tell you whatever you want to hear. It would not make any sense otherwise. Why would someone collect a check monthly or yearly or whatever and then tell you that you were no good? And secondly, quit dogging Coach Pompa and the McAllen High Staff. Pompa is a hell of a coach and if you did not make the cut, sometimes life is rough.

Too much politics in valley high school sports!

Junior Varsity

@The Time Is Now

Do you know your got your sources from the NCAA Division III website, where Athletic Scholarships are not given. Just make sure you do a little research before you post something.

Junior Varsity

Ya think, maybe I should read.

I meant to post it that way. Anyone can sign a letter of intent. I know that DIIIs don't offer scholarships. That was my point. Anyone can be told they can tryout.

Junior Varsity

Heard Ryan Garza from Edcouch-Elsa got offered to go play in Eastern Nazerene College in Boston. Best of luck to him and you gonavy!

Junior Varsity

GOOD JOB KID very proud of you not giving up on your dream....keep us posted....

Hall of Famer

Kid from Shary committed to UT

Thread Information