Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default The Show Gun Offense??

    There's a HS in Michigan that runs this offense. It's supposed to be a hybrid of the Double Wing/Pistol....pretty good. I will try to find the video and post it.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,270

    Default

    Curious to see this.

    As you know I don't give a rat's rectum about the spread. But since there's some Double-Wing action in this I'm slightly intrigued.
    www.RENAMETARPONSTADIUM.com


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Curious to see this.

    As you know I don't give a rat's rectum about the spread. But since there's some Double-Wing action in this I'm slightly intrigued.
    http://theshowgunoffense.yolasite.com/

    I like the concept myself.

    Think Georgia Tech/Nevada offense hybrid.
    Last edited by Alaniz; 06-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

  4. #4

    Default

    I was reading on the 5A football forum about this offense in their Film Room thread.

    Tarpon1994, would you do a Slot-T/Pistol hybrid? That would be interesting.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

  5. #5

    Default

    I like the way Harlingen uses the spread but wish they would use a pro set offense just as much. I like having the two wide recivers and two backs behind the QB for short yard situations. I think I would rather have a spread than the show gun offense even though it looks like it has some possibilities.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    I like the way Harlingen uses the spread but wish they would use a pro set offense just as much. I like having the two wide recivers and two backs behind the QB for short yard situations. I think I would rather have a spread than the show gun offense even though it looks like it has some possibilities.
    Although I like a Pro-style offense like the Cards did in the '90s and up to the mid '00s the spread I feel is here to stay...teams started to find out how to beat the Cards and since y'all have one of the best coaching staffs around they had to adjust.

    I noticed the Cards used a Y-stack/Gun hybrid and used Stephenson as an H-Back in that package against Stevens. Darren Allman used something similar when he was at Permian and uses it as his base offense at Austin Westlake.

    When I saw the Cards open up with that package I was like, "They're using Austin Westlake's offense." Smart move,IMO.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Although I like a Pro-style offense like the Cards did in the '90s and up to the mid '00s the spread I feel is here to stay...teams started to find out how to beat the Cards and since y'all have one of the best coaching staffs around they had to adjust.

    I noticed the Cards used a Y-stack/Gun hybrid and used Stephenson as an H-Back in that package against Stevens. Darren Allman used something similar when he was at Permian and uses it as his base offense at Austin Westlake.

    When I saw the Cards open up with that package I was like, "They're using Austin Westlake's offense." Smart move,IMO.
    Stevens was using the next week after they played the Cards, I remember hearing the announcer on the radio mentioning it as a new formation he hadn't seen them use before. The Stevens coaches took the idea from the Cards game I guess.

  8. #8

    Default

    Falcons did that in 07 and 08.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,270

    Default

    Ok, I saw the films of the Show Gun, and to me it just looks very much like The Spread. With the only difference being the QB is a lot closer to center (not under center, maybe 3 yards back?)

    If I were to do something like this, I would have at least one TE. Thankfully I'm not a coach so I won't do it. lmao

    In all seriousness though, I would still go full Slot-T. It's the perfect offense for athletes who don't have the greatest speed. Misdirection and Play-Action work wonders. I don't know why some people out there say the Slot-T is very difficult to learn. Personally I found it very easy. Guess it all depends on who it is that's teaching the offense to the kids.
    www.RENAMETARPONSTADIUM.com


  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lewisville
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    it's just a Pistol offense with a lot of motion...

    the Spread is definitely here to stay... at least at the HS, College Level... it gives teams that are undersized the ability to make the defense cover the entire field and can be effective through the air or on the ground

  11. #11
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Where i lay my head is home
    Posts
    3,127

    Default

    the key is balance

    if someone

    can incoporate multiple formations

    and using them accordingly in the proper situations

    you cant always just go with your base formations



    and the pros even use spread.

    just not all the time
    Last edited by SirMista; 06-13-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    "dats right lady, dats what you get...for lettin him out here wit killas..."

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirMista View Post
    the key is balance

    if someone

    can incoporate multiple formations

    and using them accordingly in the proper situations

    you cant always just go with your base formations

    thats why the valley gets killed in playoffs

    they show thier offense all season

    and the pros even use spread.

    just not all the time
    This is how I feel too about it, the spread is good but you need to play well in other formations to cover different yardage situations.

  13. #13
    Junior Varsity
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    41

    Default

    The showgun is the flexbone with the pistol snap. It's nothing new. Just Look at Georgia Tech and imagine their QB being lined up 3 yards behind the center instead of under center, same thing as the showgun.



  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Ok, I saw the films of the Show Gun, and to me it just looks very much like The Spread. With the only difference being the QB is a lot closer to center (not under center, maybe 3 yards back?)

    If I were to do something like this, I would have at least one TE. Thankfully I'm not a coach so I won't do it. lmao

    In all seriousness though, I would still go full Slot-T. It's the perfect offense for athletes who don't have the greatest speed. Misdirection and Play-Action work wonders. I don't know why some people out there say the Slot-T is very difficult to learn. Personally I found it very easy. Guess it all depends on who it is that's teaching the offense to the kids.
    Yea if I was a coach that's one offense I would have in my book of tricks. I was exposed to the Pro-I,Wishbone,Slot-T,and Wing-T in HS so those would be in my packages.

    I really liked the Slot-T as a TB . Fave plays were 122 tackle trap,228 sweep,and 8 hole reverse it was beautiful when all I'd see was green grass. I had 3 TDs in one game my freshman year when we ran the Slot T.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaider View Post
    The showgun is the flexbone with the pistol snap. It's nothing new. Just Look at Georgia Tech and imagine their QB being lined up 3 yards behind the center instead of under center, same thing as the showgun.


    My exact thoughts.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

  16. #16

    Default

    Looks alot like Calhouns offence
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandcrab22 View Post
    Looks alot like Calhouns offence
    Yea....only difference is y'all are under center.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •