Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.

Default The Show Gun Offense??

There's a HS in Michigan that runs this offense. It's supposed to be a hybrid of the Double Wing/Pistol....pretty good. I will try to find the video and post it.
    "Unum non potest sine defectione"

Super Moderator

Curious to see this.

As you know I don't give a rat's rectum about the spread. But since there's some Double-Wing action in this I'm slightly intrigued.
    www.RENAMETARPONSTADIUM.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Curious to see this.

As you know I don't give a rat's rectum about the spread. But since there's some Double-Wing action in this I'm slightly intrigued.
    http://theshowgunoffense.yolasite.com/

I like the concept myself.

Think Georgia Tech/Nevada offense hybrid.
    Last edited by Alaniz; 06-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.

I was reading on the 5A football forum about this offense in their Film Room thread.

Tarpon1994, would you do a Slot-T/Pistol hybrid? That would be interesting.

I like the way Harlingen uses the spread but wish they would use a pro set offense just as much. I like having the two wide recivers and two backs behind the QB for short yard situations. I think I would rather have a spread than the show gun offense even though it looks like it has some possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    I like the way Harlingen uses the spread but wish they would use a pro set offense just as much. I like having the two wide recivers and two backs behind the QB for short yard situations. I think I would rather have a spread than the show gun offense even though it looks like it has some possibilities.
    Although I like a Pro-style offense like the Cards did in the '90s and up to the mid '00s the spread I feel is here to stay...teams started to find out how to beat the Cards and since y'all have one of the best coaching staffs around they had to adjust.

I noticed the Cards used a Y-stack/Gun hybrid and used Stephenson as an H-Back in that package against Stevens. Darren Allman used something similar when he was at Permian and uses it as his base offense at Austin Westlake.

When I saw the Cards open up with that package I was like, "They're using Austin Westlake's offense." Smart move,IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    Although I like a Pro-style offense like the Cards did in the '90s and up to the mid '00s the spread I feel is here to stay...teams started to find out how to beat the Cards and since y'all have one of the best coaching staffs around they had to adjust.

I noticed the Cards used a Y-stack/Gun hybrid and used Stephenson as an H-Back in that package against Stevens. Darren Allman used something similar when he was at Permian and uses it as his base offense at Austin Westlake.

When I saw the Cards open up with that package I was like, "They're using Austin Westlake's offense." Smart move,IMO.
    Stevens was using the next week after they played the Cards, I remember hearing the announcer on the radio mentioning it as a new formation he hadn't seen them use before. The Stevens coaches took the idea from the Cards game I guess.

Falcons did that in 07 and 08.

Super Moderator

Ok, I saw the films of the Show Gun, and to me it just looks very much like The Spread. With the only difference being the QB is a lot closer to center (not under center, maybe 3 yards back?)

If I were to do something like this, I would have at least one TE. Thankfully I'm not a coach so I won't do it. lmao

In all seriousness though, I would still go full Slot-T. It's the perfect offense for athletes who don't have the greatest speed. Misdirection and Play-Action work wonders. I don't know why some people out there say the Slot-T is very difficult to learn. Personally I found it very easy. Guess it all depends on who it is that's teaching the offense to the kids.
    www.RENAMETARPONSTADIUM.com

Super Moderator

it's just a Pistol offense with a lot of motion...

the Spread is definitely here to stay... at least at the HS, College Level... it gives teams that are undersized the ability to make the defense cover the entire field and can be effective through the air or on the ground

Hall of Famer

the key is balance

if someone

can incoporate multiple formations

and using them accordingly in the proper situations

you cant always just go with your base formations

and the pros even use spread.

just not all the time
    Last edited by SirMista; 06-13-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    "dats right lady, dats what you get...for lettin him out here wit killas..."

Quote Originally Posted by SirMista View Post
    the key is balance

if someone

can incoporate multiple formations

and using them accordingly in the proper situations

you cant always just go with your base formations

thats why the valley gets killed in playoffs

they show thier offense all season

and the pros even use spread.

just not all the time
    This is how I feel too about it, the spread is good but you need to play well in other formations to cover different yardage situations.

Junior Varsity

The showgun is the flexbone with the pistol snap. It's nothing new. Just Look at Georgia Tech and imagine their QB being lined up 3 yards behind the center instead of under center, same thing as the showgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpons1994 View Post
    Ok, I saw the films of the Show Gun, and to me it just looks very much like The Spread. With the only difference being the QB is a lot closer to center (not under center, maybe 3 yards back?)

If I were to do something like this, I would have at least one TE. Thankfully I'm not a coach so I won't do it. lmao

In all seriousness though, I would still go full Slot-T. It's the perfect offense for athletes who don't have the greatest speed. Misdirection and Play-Action work wonders. I don't know why some people out there say the Slot-T is very difficult to learn. Personally I found it very easy. Guess it all depends on who it is that's teaching the offense to the kids.
    Yea if I was a coach that's one offense I would have in my book of tricks. I was exposed to the Pro-I,Wishbone,Slot-T,and Wing-T in HS so those would be in my packages.

I really liked the Slot-T as a TB . Fave plays were 122 tackle trap,228 sweep,and 8 hole reverse it was beautiful when all I'd see was green grass. I had 3 TDs in one game my freshman year when we ran the Slot T.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaider View Post
    The showgun is the flexbone with the pistol snap. It's nothing new. Just Look at Georgia Tech and imagine their QB being lined up 3 yards behind the center instead of under center, same thing as the showgun.

My exact thoughts.

Looks alot like Calhouns offence
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcrab22 View Post
    Looks alot like Calhouns offence
    Yea....only difference is y'all are under center.

Thread Information