Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Quote Originally Posted by lffalconsrule View Post
    Donna's 1961 team is number one, because are the only team to win state. Mission's 1941 team is second, along with the other teams that didn't lose a playoff game but didn't win state because the playoff system didn't allow them to at that time. After that, you have to look at what round and what team did they lose to. For that reason, PSJA's 1962 and 1963 teams should be 3 and 4. Number 5 is PI's 1981 team. Mission's 1990 team and Harlingen's 1989 team are 6 and 7 in that order. Then, PI's 1994 team is number 8 and their 2003 team is number 9. Then Harlingen's 2011 team and Edinburg's 1999 team are 10 and 11. After that, there are a bunch of teams with a string argument.
    With that said, throw in the 1931 Harlingen team. They won the region, but stopped playing after that.
    VCDA

Hall of Famer

Default * Let's put an asterisk next to the last years SB

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal85 View Post
    With that said, throw in the 1931 Harlingen team. They won the region, but stopped playing after that.
    With that said...the New York Giants were swept by the lowly Washington Redskins so you can call them Super Bowl champs by default since they did beat them twice.
    Last edited by Rx Counselor; 08-12-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Just because I have ADD doesn't mean that I...Hey, look, a squirrel!

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    Was future Rice lineman Donny Martin on that team? I know Guillot and LB Terry Roberts were exeptional. Top talent at a small town.
    Yes they were. That year, PI outscored their opponents 419-53.
    "I must break you"

"If he dies, he dies"

Ivan Drago

Heisman Winner

post was deleted in order to make correction.
    Last edited by rico; 08-13-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by redwave View Post
    Was future Rice lineman Donny Martin on that team? I know Guillot and LB Terry Roberts were exeptional. Top talent at a small town.
    RGV Hall Of Famers Donny Martin and Travis Sanders last played for PI in the
    1978 season. If I'm not mistaken Don Guillot was a Freshman on that team.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Rx Counselor View Post
    With that said...the New York Giants were swept by the lowly Washington Redskins so you can call them Super Bowl champs by default since they did beat them twice.
    Nope, wont call Washington Super Bowl Champs, but i would say that they had NYG's number. I'd even go out and say that they were a better team.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/wedding%20crashers

Direct any question about my signature to "TeamFalcon"

Thank you.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Rx Counselor View Post
    Nope, wont call Washington Super Bowl Champs, but i would say that they had NYG's number. I'd even go out and say that they were a better team.

Thank you.

Hall of Famer

How bout 2011 cardinals. Name me a valley 5A that has ever gone 13-1!! Beat a legendary state power in Abilene! And the playoff run was 8-2 lf, 8-2 del rio, 11-1 sa warren. 11-4 sa madison. Or will the hatred not like plebe not allow anyone to immediately place them on the list. Keep in mind this past yr card time broke a valley record(there own) for pts scored in a season. Cmon plebe bring it. Especially u sharyrattler5!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal97 View Post
    How bout 2011 cardinals. Name me a valley 5A that has ever gone 13-1!! Beat a legendary state power in Abilene! And the playoff run was 8-2 lf, 8-2 del rio, 11-1 sa warren. 11-4 sa madison. Or will the hatred not like plebe not allow anyone to immediately place them on the list. Keep in mind this past yr card time broke a valley record(there own) for pts scored in a season. Cmon plebe bring it. Especially u sharyrattler5!
    valid points
    "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to DIE". - Inigo Montoya

Quote Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
    1 1981 Port Isabel Tarpons

2 1963 PSJA Bears

3 1989 Harlingen Cardinals

4 1961 San Benito Greyhounds

5 1994 Port Isabel Tarpons

6 1962 PSJA Bears

7 2011 Harlingen Cardinals

8 1955 Weslaco Panthers

9 1990 Mission Eagles

10 1961 Donna Redskins

In reality there are many teams that could replace some on this list but had to play stiff competition early on in the playoffs so they don't have long playoff runs. Most notably that come to mind are the Edinburg Bobcats of the 1070's coached by Richard Flores who produced some of the best Valley teams ever. McAllen also had some of the best Valley teams coached by Charlie Williams. All these lists trying to figure out the best teams in Valley history are flawed just like my list is. For example many teams today would kill Donna 61 just on number of players alone. Donna was using almost all their players both ways because of a small squad. The 89 Harlingen team would have worn them down and won easily. Maybe the lists should just be based on who made it the longest in the playoffs and leave it at that...it might make it more accurate if it was based on classifications.
    In my opinion I think the Bobcats had some of the best teams in the valley from 1982-1990 rt b4 the school split in 1991 but from 82-89 bobcats won district and made the playoffs and I think this was around the time when only 1 team made playoffs. I think you can take anyone of these teams and put them in the top ten for example I think was 1983 the Cats had at one point the number one defense in the state they had 7 or 8 straight shutouts and held their opponents to an avg of around 60 yrds per game. In 1984 they had one of the states most potent offenses with qb John Paul Cantu and wide reciever Steve Alaniz who went on to play for Notre Dame and I could go on and on about the 1980's Bobcats coached by Richard Flores agian this is just my opinion.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by LUVRGVBB View Post
    In my opinion I think the Bobcats had some of the best teams in the valley from 1982-1990 rt b4 the school split in 1991 but from 82-89 bobcats won district and made the playoffs and I think this was around the time when only 1 team made playoffs. I think you can take anyone of these teams and put them in the top ten for example I think was 1983 the Cats had at one point the number one defense in the state they had 7 or 8 straight shutouts and held their opponents to an avg of around 60 yrds per game. In 1984 they had one of the states most potent offenses with qb John Paul Cantu and wide reciever Steve Alaniz who went on to play for Notre Dame and I could go on and on about the 1980's Bobcats coached by Richard Flores agian this is just my opinion.
    Sounds like they were pretty good, but what did they do in the playoffs.

What was their total body of work. What was their overall record (Including the playoff loss), who did they eventually lose to?

I'm not all that familiar with the western valley teams and their successes/failures.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TarponTrack/Football View Post
    Sounds like they were pretty good, but what did they do in the playoffs.

What was their total body of work. What was their overall record (Including the playoff loss), who did they eventually lose to?

I'm not all that familiar with the western valley teams and their successes/failures.
    Edinburg had some of the best teams the Valley during those years. Back then it was harder to move along in the playoffs. Edinburg ran into Judson a couple of times and they were close games. Go to DC Texas football site and click records and there are playoff results through the years and you can see how Edinburg did.
    HARLINGEN CARDINALS WINNING REPUTATION

Banned

The Huddle TV Show on Fox airs tonight 9:30 DON'T FORGET FOLKS!!!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YELLOWJACKETNATION2020 View Post
    The Huddle TV Show on Fox airs tonight 9:30 DON'T FORGET FOLKS!!!
    oh damn forgot about that....ty yj2020

GO HOUNDS

Thread Information