Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Legend

Default Mission Vets--Head Coach Opening

Longoria, reassigned

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/mi...ez_season.html

RGVSports.com

MISSION - There will be a very different look on the home sidelines of Tom Landry Stadium next season.

Mission Veterans Memorial's Carlos Longoria will be reassigned and was informed late Wednesday evening. The decision was reached after a Mission CISD Board of Trustees meeting.

Mission CISD superintendent Oscar Rodriguez, who made the decision to reassign Lee and Longoria, said the district "needed to go in a different direction" with its football teams.

Longoria, who came to Mission Veterans from Raymondville before the 2004 season, went 24-26 and reached the playoffs only in his first season. Ironically, it was a Patriots loss in the last game of the season to Weslaco East which put the Eagles into the postseason.
    Last edited by Midvalleyftball79; 12-17-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Immortal

so what coach is applying?

Not very common to have two schools in the same district looking for head coaches....

I wonder if coaches will apply for both jobs or if they can be specific.

Immortal

can the eagles coach sign up for this position?

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Buzzard View Post
    Not very common to have two schools in the same district looking for head coaches....

I wonder if coaches will apply for both jobs or if they can be specific.
    That would be crazy
    "Its not how you start its how you finish."

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedpurple View Post
    can the eagles coach sign up for this position?
    Now, that would be crazy!

Hall of Famer

Officially he can, but he is not a happy camper right about now and would not be a good fit at the "OTHER" school. But that would be a bigtime ball of turmoil should he even consider that as an option.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Hall of Famer

Nobody from Vets has posted here yet. I'll start them off. Gnatt or Gilpin would be very good fits here.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Hall of Famer

Gnatt- Los Fresonos- great offense. Harlingen-great offense.
    Mission Vets is a possibilty for him, too.

Casas at Vets. It's possible too, but my concern is why did the LJ players bash in his car last year? Did he do things over there to cross the line with his players? Wasn't the UIL looking at practice violations immediately when he got hired? Imagine, your own senior varsity players vandalizing the coach's car after only a few months on the job.

Gilpin is the one most everyone here wants and I can definitely live with that. He has served the community well and I've seen him at Mission Eagles games as well when Vets isn't playing the same night. There were even some strong rumors he could've possibly been at MHS this past season when the rumor mill on Lee leaving were in full effect.
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 01-29-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Heisman Winner

check this one out, Romeo De La Garza is applying for the Vetz job. What does he know about FB. He's good in Bball but FB? I guess anybody and everybody is applying. Shoot all of us in the forum over 18 should apply as well!
    http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/mi...a_michael.html

Only Mission Veterans

Romeo de la Garza

Michael Donovan

David Gilpin

Jason M. Wheeler
    Last edited by ol' school; 01-29-2009 at 04:09 PM.

i think gilpin would be a better coach but delagarza looked like he was really involved on sidelines during football season.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ol' school View Post
    check this one out, Romeo De La Garza is applying for the Vetz job. What does he know about FB. He's good in Bball but FB? I guess anybody and everybody is applying. Shoot all of us in the forum over 18 should apply as well!
    http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/mi...a_michael.html

Only Mission Veterans

Romeo de la Garza

Michael Donovan

David Gilpin

Jason M. Wheeler
    Romeo was a wide receiver when Lupe Rodriguez was the qb. He was not a goto WR, but he's a smart guy and may know more football than we think he does. De La Garza coaches WR at Vets and is very good at communicating his points across to his players. I agree, Gilpin should be picked over him, but de la Garza needs to put in more time in order to get his chance. AT least be an OC like Gene Garza before being rewarded with big HC responsibilities. I understand he may be the current acting athletic coordinator for the school so he has some leadership skills already built into his resume as well.

Junior Varsity

Vets needs something different then Mission High- we need Gilpin- He'll win and he will create enthusiasm in the community and he will be here for the long haul- he is ready and deserves a chance- give it to him- watch what happens-

Junior Varsity

Romeo de la garza needs to stick to basketball- there are also plenty of other coaches on the vets staff that have just as good if not better leadership skills- he needs to put in his time before going straight to the top- he won't get 1 20th of the support from the staff and kids that gilpin would get- just the honest truth

Bring Gilpin to Mission! MHS. He was at MHS in my day that would mean its ABOUT TIME! Slow down for me! I'm on the wagon!

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by eagleprophet View Post
    Romeo was a wide receiver when Lupe Rodriguez was the qb. He was not a goto WR, but he's a smart guy and may know more football than we think he does. De La Garza coaches WR at Vets and is very good at communicating his points across to his players. I agree, Gilpin should be picked over him, but de la Garza needs to put in more time in order to get his chance. AT least be an OC like Gene Garza before being rewarded with big HC responsibilities. I understand he may be the current acting athletic coordinator for the school so he has some leadership skills already built into his resume as well.
    But Gilpin has not put in time as a DC either. I hear that he is a great motivator and active on the sidelines but isnt there much more to head coaching than that, like organization, game planning and film study. I am not suggesting that he does not do this. I am just curious. Further, I am not convinced that time spent in a community should have as much wieght as people might think. Some coaches just hang around becuase they have a house there or are protected by the board or Admin. To truly get the best bang for your buck The hiring process should be opened up to the free market

Gilpin was a part of Detmers original staff which ran their system under the BYU model. i.e. college model. Detmers success came from his ability to "continually" learn. Coaches "Valley Coaches" can get set in their ways and their ego usually is their downfall. Treat your profession like a doctor treats his and you old guys will win some games. A doctor has to be on the forefront of new things just as some of our successful coaches are (LF, EE, McHi, Shary, etc.). I'm sure he'd run things exactly as Detmer did from a structure standpoint, which gives him the edge on EVERYBODY.

Junior Varsity

Food for thought, while it is true that Gilpin has never gotten the opportunity to be a cordinator you have to look at the fact that every coach he worked for has brought their own coordinators in. All assistant caoches regardkess of thier positon study film, gameplan, organize, all teh things you asked about. Loyalty is not important? I don;t think I can agree with you o that sorry I think that loyalety is extremely important and has to b considered. Look at the names in the paper today. Who did they interview? Coaches that have been all over the place in their coachuig careers. Does that ake them bad coaches? Of course not. But, if Gilpin has decided that he wants to be i the city of Mission I believe that should be applauded. Those are our kids, MY kids. If he is the person thatcares about them and they care about him hen I have tomsay that is the person I want. DeLaGarza name was metnioned. I have to remind you I have talked to the kids and they said he is the last person they would want as their coach. I have seen how he treats kids. NOT WHAT WE NEED!! This is no-brainer to me. Eagle 1440 is right. School Board-Hire COACH GILPIN!! How can we overlook him? Like babyboomer siad hire him and then watcha and see what happens. I can assure you the community will NOT be disappointed.

Heisman Winner

It's gonna be hard for Mission to overlook Leonel Casas. He lives in Mission as well and has had success around the Valley. His resume is impressive. He is the most experienced candidate on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' school View Post
    It's gonna be hard for Mission to overlook Leonel Casas. He lives in Mission as well and has had success around the Valley. His resume is impressive. He is the most experienced candidate on the list.
    He had ONE good season at mercedes. ONE. Wow. Easily satisfied I see. Suggest you look go to collier-sharp.com and look up mercedes all time records and la joya all time records. YOU WILL CRY!

Thread Information