Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Junior Varsity

Default GILPIN FOR HEAD COACH!

Food for thought, just a friendly reminder- I attended the school board meeting where it was stated by the president of the board- Martinez " we do not have an intrim ac we have POINT OF CONTACTS- that is all DE LA GARZA is- Don't fill his head up with more air! What organizational skills does he have under his belt Longoria has only been gone a month. Please stick to the facts-GILPIN FOR VETS HEAD FOOTBALL COACH!!!!! By the way I would think that an English teacher would have more organizational skills than a PE Coach (nothing against PE Coaches, just don't see where FFT is coming at with that comment)

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagle440 View Post
    He had ONE good season at mercedes. ONE. Wow. Easily satisfied I see. Suggest you look go to collier-sharp.com and look up mercedes all time records and la joya all time records. YOU WILL CRY!
    1 good season? TheEagle, you seem to be easily satisfied with finding inaccurate information. he had a couple of district championships in Mercedes in the 90s. Mercedes will go no less than 2 rounds deep almost every year in the 90s (when in the playoffs). You need to get your facts from a more updated website. here's what I found...6 winning seasons, 2 district championships in 8 years as head coach, overall recored at Mercedes 59-37, winning pct of .627--NOT too BAD.

1990 4A 7 - 4 6 - 0*
    1991 4A 6 - 4 4 - 2
    1992 4A 8 - 4 3 - 2
    1993 4A 10 - 2 4 - 1
    1994 4A 9 - 2 6 - 0*
    1995 4A 8 - 3 4 - 2
    1996 4A 4 - 6 4 - 2 1990 - 98 Leonel Casas
    1997 4A 3 - 6 3 - 3
    1998 4A 4 - 6 3 - 4
    Last edited by ol' school; 01-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Junior Varsity

I have no idea about what Casas did years ago in Mercedes but I DO know that it was years ago regardless of good or bad. In his two seasons at LJ he made the playoffs with a 3-7 or 4-6 team where his teamoutright rebelled on him. True they did win a couple of playoff gamesw in a weak 5a playoff bracket. This year LJ was terrible with everyone caling for a differentoffense instead of run the ball 3 times and punt. Casa even quit on his team the last week of the season once they were out of playoff contention. Walked out of practice and then had no practics the rest of the week before their final game of the season This is what we so badky need in Mission? I am not trying tobe offensive to ol skool but I just cannot understand why his name keeps being said as the guy to hire.

Not sure if new blood is needed? I did a little research on the teams in Mission since Sonny detmer left town. in the eleven seasons since then Mission High has had 2 winning seasons. In the 7 year sveterans has had a team they have had 1 winning seaon. That is 3 winning seasons in the last 18 teams that a Mission cisd school has fielded. In those same 18 years-4 playoff appearances combined. This is with FOUR teams making the playoffs in each district now! I fell pretty confident in saying that Coach Gilpin would do better than that. he certinly can do no worse. When will the people of Mission realize that they have a voice? they elect the board. Te;ll them how you feel. Parents and athletes and community members tell people what you want. Tell principals board members administrators. It is our city our kids. If gilpin was not a good coach I understand wanting someone different but he has ben successsful all along the way.

Let's not let this opportunity pass us by. Gilpin is the guy we need!

Junior Varsity

Thanks for posting his record ol skool. I You are right. Not a bad overall record but in the world of what have you done for me lately. Plus, he has what he sad was his dream job. head Coach in La Joya. those of you who support him he is doing fine. Employed and paid well at LJ. Why does he want toleave. He is well connected there. Has he worn out his welcome? Why not let a hometown guy who has paid his dues have a chance at proving himself?

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Gig 'Em Aggies View Post
    Thanks for posting his record ol skool. I You are right. Not a bad overall record but in the world of what have you done for me lately. Plus, he has what he sad was his dream job. head Coach in La Joya. those of you who support him he is doing fine. Employed and paid well at LJ. Why does he want toleave. He is well connected there. Has he worn out his welcome? Why not let a hometown guy who has paid his dues have a chance at proving himself?
    No problem man. Not from Mission, so I'm not exactly sure how the community is feeeling at this point, do they want fresh blood with alot of knowledge or an experienced head coach? I just know that Casas has called Mission his home for many years now, so I thought he would be a good fit. I hope the community gets who they want. Best of luck.
    Last edited by ol' school; 01-30-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' school View Post
    1 good season? TheEagle, you seem to be easily satisfied with finding inaccurate information. he had a couple of district championships in Mercedes in the 90s. Mercedes will go no less than 2 rounds deep almost every year in the 90s (when in the playoffs). You need to get your facts from a more updated website. here's what I found...6 winning seasons, 2 district championships in 8 years as head coach, overall recored at Mercedes 59-37, winning pct of .627--NOT too BAD.

1990 4A 7 - 4 6 - 0*
    1991 4A 6 - 4 4 - 2
    1992 4A 8 - 4 3 - 2
    1993 4A 10 - 2 4 - 1
    1994 4A 9 - 2 6 - 0*
    1995 4A 8 - 3 4 - 2
    1996 4A 4 - 6 4 - 2 1990 - 98 Leonel Casas
    1997 4A 3 - 6 3 - 3
    1998 4A 4 - 6 3 - 4
    You must be Coach Casas or a relative or a compadre because you are definetely forgetting his early la joya record and current la joya record. You can defend this guy all you like....at the end of the day he's a .500 coach and thats bieng nice because if I crunched the numbers he'd probably be sub.500.

Junior Varsity

If Casas called Mission his hometown, why leave the top athletic position "ATHLETIC DIRECTOR" and go back to coaching- pretty much every coach I know states that is where you want to be running the show as AD. Now you are not happy at LJ, you buried your hole now lie in it. Why should we now take you back because you NOW realize an opportunity to come back has opened. NO LOYALTY!

Quote Originally Posted by Gig 'Em Aggies View Post
    I have no idea about what Casas did years ago in Mercedes but I DO know that it was years ago regardless of good or bad. In his two seasons at LJ he made the playoffs with a 3-7 or 4-6 team where his teamoutright rebelled on him. True they did win a couple of playoff gamesw in a weak 5a playoff bracket. This year LJ was terrible with everyone caling for a differentoffense instead of run the ball 3 times and punt. Casa even quit on his team the last week of the season once they were out of playoff contention. Walked out of practice and then had no practics the rest of the week before their final game of the season This is what we so badky need in Mission? I am not trying tobe offensive to ol skool but I just cannot understand why his name keeps being said as the guy to hire.

Not sure if new blood is needed? I did a little research on the teams in Mission since Sonny detmer left town. in the eleven seasons since then Mission High has had 2 winning seasons. In the 7 year sveterans has had a team they have had 1 winning seaon. That is 3 winning seasons in the last 18 teams that a Mission cisd school has fielded. In those same 18 years-4 playoff appearances combined. This is with FOUR teams making the playoffs in each district now! I fell pretty confident in saying that Coach Gilpin would do better than that. he certinly can do no worse. When will the people of Mission realize that they have a voice? they elect the board. Te;ll them how you feel. Parents and athletes and community members tell people what you want. Tell principals board members administrators. It is our city our kids. If gilpin was not a good coach I understand wanting someone different but he has ben successsful all along the way.

Let's not let this opportunity pass us by. Gilpin is the guy we need!
    I heard the same thing about him this season. If you are the prime reason your team stinks....Don't abandon them. Kids are not dumb they see what happened.....what are they supposed to do? Actions like that can cripple a program for years to come.

Heisman Winner

You must be Coach Casas or a relative or a compadre because you are definetely forgetting his early la joya record and current la joya record. You can defend this guy all you like....at the end of the day he's a .500 coach and thats bieng nice because if I crunched the numbers he'd probably be sub.500.
    lol don't get worked up buddy. I just brought out the facts of Casas Mercedes days. You pointed out he only had 1 good season in Mercedes, and I proved you wrong. As far as La Joya, you might know more than me in that case. Just saying if you're gonna try to post facts make sure they are correct.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If Casas called Mission his hometown, why leave the top athletic position "ATHLETIC DIRECTOR" and go back to coaching- pretty much every coach I know states that is where you want to be running the show as AD. Now you are not happy at LJ, you buried your hole now lie in it. Why should we now take you back because you NOW realize an opportunity to come back has opened. NO LOYALTY!
    you have a valid point.

Ol Skool quote me Casas last 6 seasons? Thank you! Maybe you get your wish....Heck you very well may. If so....get ready lead, trap, draw, PUNT!

Heisman Winner

Ol Skool quote me Casas last 6 seasons? Thank you! Maybe you get your wish....Heck you very well may. If so....get ready lead, trap, draw, PUNT!
    lol alright man. What program is Gilpin currently working for? Reading here, alot of folks like what he has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' school View Post
    lol don't get worked up buddy. I just brought out the facts of Casas Mercedes days. You pointed out he only had 1 good season in Mercedes, and I proved you wrong. As far as La Joya, you might know more than me in that case. Just saying if you're gonna try to post facts make sure they are correct.
    Yeah it was two winning seasons. My bad, I'm not very good at digging up old coaches. Especially sub .500 guys. I'd like you to find his last 6 years since you are the ESPN statistical guru. haha. ONLY PERSON WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM CASAS' EMPLOYMENT WOULD BE THE "PUNTER". HE'D HAVE AN ALL-STATE SEASON!

YEAH, GILPIN.....He was a part of Detmers staff and if he can bring back the structure that he had Vets will be better than they have been. Plus, the kids love and respect the guy. Ever hear the phrase "I'd walk through hell with that guy"? Thats Gilpin.

Heisman Winner

Yeah it was two winning seasons. My bad, I'm not very good at digging up old coaches. Especially sub .500 guys. I'd like you to find his last 6 years since you are the ESPN statistical guru. haha. ONLY PERSON WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM CASAS' EMPLOYMENT WOULD BE THE "PUNTER". HE'D HAVE AN ALL-STATE SEASON!
    hahaha too funny man. who do you want as coach & why?

Junior Varsity

Default GILPIN FOR HEAD COACH!

As for De La Garza applying, this has me more boggled than Tom Lee re-applying. Why does he want to move out of basketball? Come on this guy has a bad attitude with the kids, his family abuses every ref at every (Basketball) game, and what experience does he have to be at the helm of a football team. Let me sum this one up - NADA! Stop the brown-nosing and stick to what you know.

Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    As for De La Garza applying, this has me more boggled than Tom Lee re-applying. Why does he want to move out of basketball? Come on this guy has a bad attitude with the kids, his family abuses every ref at every (Basketball) game, and what experience does he have to be at the helm of a football team. Let me sum this one up - NADA! Stop the brown-nosing and stick to what you know.
    yeah pretty shocking to see Romeo apply for this job. He's a good basketball coach but football?

He may have been a good coach in those 4 years before his eventual drop into coaching mediocrity at Mercedes and LJ. In football people figure you out and then you have to adjust accordingly. I don't think he ever got to that point. Its hard I can only imagine...these guys (old skool junior high coaches) start so low and have never been to a really good clinic with great speakers. They take their beer guts, but NO PENS and NO PADS.
    Gilpin is a smart guy and at this point he makes the most sense for Vets because he is respected, knowledgable (in structure, etc.), and a dang fire starter. He brings intensity and the kids see his passion they NEVER question whether he will quit on them. NEVER. No one will deface his property or treat or talk about him disrespectfully. These EGO mania coaches get NO LOVE nowadays. Bear Bryant is DEAD! Kids gotta believe in the head coach. Before X's and O's attention needs to be paid. Everyone in that lockeroom knows what will WORK. G-I-L-P-I-N!

Heisman Winner

wow that was well stated TheEagle! Gilpin FOR CHANGE, just like "Obama for change".
    Last edited by ol' school; 01-30-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Junior Varsity

Gilpin was also on the Dicus staff. All you had to do is attend one football game this past season to see what motivated the kids that were forced to be coached by a so called Bermuda Triangle and only one coach stood out- He ran out with the kids, congratulated them on great plays, hoot, hollered,and most of all came off the field with them with heads held high. Most importantly, our vets survived this season due to his Defensive Line - those kids played their hearts out for that man and it showed. Our poor offense had no choice, no plays, and definetly no direction. Lets give the kids the direction they need and thats COACH GILPIN!!!!:

Thread Information