Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Heisman Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Gig 'Em Aggies View Post
    Agreed ol school. This has become a sick joke with this guy and his family. I asked my son and he told methat the kids are all upset worried that Delagarza will be the next head football coach. The kids don;t want him! That is scary to me as a parent. I need a head coach that will be stern but fair abd know how to relate to people...kids included.
    Reading you guys' comments, GILPIN is what the community wants. You all deserve the best for the community, especially the best for the kids. Best of luck.

Junior Varsity

Here is my question. I did not see Coach Gilpin at this bb game. Would he have been able to prevent theis ugly incident? I say yes. The relationship and respect those jids have for him is trmendous. School board get off the agenda and hire the right guy for OUR kids. Hire gilpin NOW! This nnsense has got to stop. THAT was amjoke last night started by the delagarza family.

Junior Varsity

Thanks ol school. I am simply voicing what EVERYBODY is saying. This is not a complicated deal. hire the guy everybody is supporting.

you guys taking shots at a coach and family is just not right or fair. I sure hope you are correct because what he has brought to vets is alot. would you rather have the eagles coach as vets coach? the eagles coach has been there what 5 years and hasnt made playoffs yet, however the fball coaches make it and then get fired. delagarza has made playoffs almost every year (maybe has)since the school opened. the vets coach does nothing but win. if i were him id say goodbye vets. u guys are entitled to your opinion, but what you are saying about a man and his family shouldnt be said. you guys complain about the comprade system but whats the difference whith you guys constantly calling for gilpen. he has never been a co-ordinator... how does this help vets? if you are gonna bring up an assistant, why not one who has success and experience in where you wanna go....... like playoffs and beyond. but thats my opinion. oh and i am not saying hire dela garza. i was thinking los fresnos co-ordinator or someone like him.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsvillian View Post
    you guys taking shots at a coach and family is just not right or fair. I sure hope you are correct because what he has brought to vets is alot. would you rather have the eagles coach as vets coach? the eagles coach has been there what 5 years and hasnt made playoffs yet, however the fball coaches make it and then get fired. delagarza has made playoffs almost every year (maybe has)since the school opened. the vets coach does nothing but win. if i were him id say goodbye vets. u guys are entitled to your opinion, but what you are saying about a man and his family shouldnt be said. you guys complain about the comprade system but whats the difference whith you guys constantly calling for gilpen. he has never been a co-ordinator... how does this help vets? if you are gonna bring up an assistant, why not one who has success and experience in where you wanna go....... like playoffs and beyond. but thats my opinion. oh and i am not saying hire dela garza. i was thinking los fresnos co-ordinator or someone like him.
    Well let me tell you what I've observed. The coach is a very good one, but does some dramatic antics on the sidelines and that draws some negative unwanted attention. And it does not help that his father is the head of the RGV officials which leads others to feel that Vets conveniently gets the "benefit of the doubt" in most of their games. But the worst part is the sister and the wife. They get way out of line and this is what irks most of the people the most. There is just no other school that has this kind of drama from the immediate family right there by the bench. And yes, there needs to be something done about those antics. A banning of Vets games or something like that may be something to consider. If they caused what happened last night by simply "SITTING" on the opponents bleachers "just cuz it's a free country and I can sit wherever I want." This just blows me away. There was way too much hurt in the community last night and it could've been much worse if people would've been injured.

Mission/Vets rivalry games have become a "JOKE" and don't like that at all. Administration needs to be on top of such behavior. And on a side note, Gilpin being there would've not changed things much. The Mission kid just lost it and that is that.

By the way, there is video of this as I noticed the Vets HS camera crew at the game set up in the visitor's side of the bleachers.

A lot of people are suggesting that Mission hire Mario Pena and get Lupe Rodriguez as his offensive Coordinator. That has been the idea of several of the closest Eagle supporters were contemplating and suggesting this tandem and give it a go.

I hear that Mario Pena was interviewed today.

If they don't hire Gilpin at Vets, then they need to hire Gnatt from Harlingen and have Gilpin be his DC. That would probably be something that could also work really well as well.

Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Junior Varsity

Hoopsvillian- you sound like a de la garza family member. Everyone on this forum has every right to take shots at FACTS going on in their community. And saying that another coach should be a head instead of Gilpin- and complaining because the GILPIN BANDWAGON gets bigger and bigger- come on you have made an obvious realization of who you are.

Junior Varsity

Also hoopswife(villian) what makes you think that because you are successful in basketball and butt-kissing automatically makes you successful for football?

Good basketball coach (DLG), but needs to address this image issue because he has to remember he is in "MISSION". Compadre and gossip capital of the WORLD! They let Roy Garcia go and he was a very classy act (and he won). It would be a waste if he were to let family fiestyness or on court antics derail his obvious talent for preparing young men to take the court. NOT FIELD!

Junior Varsity

It's sad when family members potentially can hurt your chances to be successful in any sport. Who needs enemies when you've got FAMILY.

I think they (family) are just rabid about Mission Vets basketball, the girls games used to be the same way a couple years back with fans heckling and getting rowdy. Its all in fun if they can smile and keep it light. Afterall we want to set the correct example for the kids we are supporting. I will admit, if you want to shut em up, WIN.

Hall of Famer

I don't mind being rowdy at the games, but in a clean spirited way.
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-05-2009 at 11:40 AM.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Junior Varsity

I agree profit- Get rowdy "POSiTIVELY" yell defense, cheer your team loud and proud, but you cross the line when you attack the kids. This family has young kids and in about 10 years they will know how it feels to have their child attacked by an obnoxious fan.

Hall of Famer

That's why I don't take my kids to some of those games I anticipate being ugly. I don't need my little boy and girl hearing cuss words and witnessing crazy obnoxious antics from the ones in the stands.
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-05-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Junior Varsity

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsvillian View Post
    Del a garza has run the best program in Mission for the last few years on the boys side from a Wins and losses perspective. He is also the special teams coordinator for football. That alone makes him more qualified than Gilpin. People may not like his style but he is winning. Gilpin is getting a lot of promotion on here and that is fine. I am not saying that he could'nt be a great coach but I do think that De la Garza way too much bashing. Further, someone replied to my earlier post and said that a English teacher would be better organized that a P.E. coach. I did not say Gilpin was disorganized. Regardless, niether of the two has more than two classes anyways. I kinda wonder if it does not really matter anyways. Wheeler might be the best candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by foodforthought View Post
    Del a garza has run the best program in Mission for the last few years on the boys side from a Wins and losses perspective. He is also the special teams coordinator for football. That alone makes him more qualified than Gilpin. People may not like his style but he is winning. Gilpin is getting a lot of promotion on here and that is fine. I am not saying that he could'nt be a great coach but I do think that De la Garza way too much bashing. Further, someone replied to my earlier post and said that a English teacher would be better organized that a P.E. coach. I did not say Gilpin was disorganized. Regardless, niether of the two has more than two classes anyways. I kinda wonder if it does not really matter anyways. Wheeler might be the best candidate.
    He is not more qualified than Gilpin. I agree that the DLG bashing is a bit much. I say that as an Eagle supporter. I think its simply a case of "IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT.....GET THE HELL OUTTA THE KITCHEN". Heckling is a part of the game...Who cares? The issue is who its coming from I think. I don't think I could ever imagine Coach Roy Garcia or members of his family ever pulling that but.....hell deal with it. WIN.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagle440 View Post
    He is not more qualified than Gilpin. I agree that the DLG bashing is a bit much. I say that as an Eagle supporter. I think its simply a case of "IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT.....GET THE HELL OUTTA THE KITCHEN". Heckling is a part of the game...Who cares? The issue is who its coming from I think. I don't think I could ever imagine Coach Roy Garcia or members of his family ever pulling that but.....hell deal with it. WIN.
    DLG is a very good coach, it's the family that is drawing the negative attention to Vets most of the time.

Junior Varsity

Default GILPIN FOR HEAD COACH!

As stated previously fft, you said he had the organization to be ac. As for teaching please- Gilpin has a minimal of 5 english classes- de la garza - 2 and he spends most of the time in principal's office- not teaching/coaching. As for wheeler- didn't make the cut. De la garza needs to stick to what he knows- Basketball. As the special teams coordinator- he didn't do squat.

Junior Varsity

Gilpin has two classes partner

A-Mazing. Coach has this many classes! Coach has that many classes! WTH does this all have to do with FOOTBALL. JESUS. You have no idea what football is. I'm almost gonna give my vote to Pena, Mission probably needs someone who is psychotic (competitively and defensively) to change the mentality around here. Coach has two classes? Are you kidding me. WOW. Where am I? Get off the forum family.

Thread Information