Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hall of Famer

Default Mission CISD Coaching Scoop/Talk!!

Alright fellas. This is what I've been hearing from the peeps that I ran into throughout the day. Again, this is just scoop I've gathered, not etched in stone.

At Vets they have supposedly dwindled their list to 3 guys. Gilpin, Gaston, and another from Upstate supposedly are the frontrunners. Been told that Pena and Casas are virtually out at Vets. Also been told that Gnatt from Harlingen is still a possibility. But as you all have read in this forum, the sentimental favorite is David Gilpin and I will not be surprised if he actually lands the job. If Gilpin were to land the job at Vets, I would somehow try to get Gnatt to agree to be the OC, but that is technically a step down for him from Valley 5A powerhouse Harlingen.

At Mission, Mario Pena is still one of the names that is being mentioned by many and many have felt that he deserves a shot at perhaps closing out his career at home within walking distance from his house. Another frontrunner being mentioned as perhaps the leading candidate is Dinkelman. He is currently the offensive coordinator under his father in law Sonny Detmer at 3A Somerset. Word with this guy is he has a Freshman son who is supposedly better than Koy and Ty Detmer were at the ninth grade level. The boy is about 6 feet tall. But I say, don't hire the guy cuz of his son, hire the guy because of his credentials and ability to motivate the troops for war.

And that is where I come in to give my opinion once again. I say Hire Mario Pena and strengthen your defense bigtime with the addition of his brother Roy Pena and then bring in Lupe Rodriguez to pilot the offense as the offensive coordinator. Keep Pherson and Jones for sure and then take a look at the rest of the staff to see who is still a desirable coach. I tell you this much, you will definitely have a very strong and disciplined staff if you go this route.

But again, that is based soley on heresay and scoop so I cannot for sure say that is what will transpire at either school.

Also heard that Coach Tom Lee was interviewed for the positions as well. I wouldn't mind having Lee Coach the DBs back at MHS for that was his position in HS and even in College.

So you guys are welcome to give your 2 cents and voice/repeat what you have heard in the Mission CISD coaching rumor mill!!
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-06-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

All your District Championships are belong to us

again...only reason Pena's defenses were so "strong" is cuz all his best athletes were on defense.

he wont have that luxury at Mission. And if he does the offense will fail.
    YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL

HELPING A BROTHA'S DREAMS COME TRUE, ONE HAIRNET AT A TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by CHILLEDPATRON View Post
    WOW WOW WOW WOW. . . QUE VIVA LA MAQUINA. .. (one and only time i will EVER say it)

thank you for helping east share a district championship!!!

Gantt would not be the OC at Vets. Its a step down, there's nothing technical about it. Mission would be wise to make him the HC.

Gilpin sounds like a GREAT pick for Vets. Best of luck!

offer enought perks and $$$ and anything is possible.

Junior Varsity

Haven't you heard hoopsvillian- Mission CISD has no money. The coaches would be paid on a salary scale 4 not 5 like other districts. More than likely as profit mentioned - work with staff already there.

Junior Varsity

Default GILPIN FOR HEAD COACH!

Lets go folks- call ur school board members and let your voices be heard- One of our local boys is top 3. TIME FOR CHANGE! TIME FOR GILPIN! You want to win- We NEED GILPIN!

Hall of Famer

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hunterbunter View Post
    again...only reason Pena's defenses were so "strong" is cuz all his best athletes were on defense.

he wont have that luxury at Mission. And if he does the offense will fail.
    In case you haven't been told, Pena has gone with OC's who know how to throw the ball lately. He's learned that you cannot do much in the post season with a 3 YARDS AND A CLOUD OF DUST metality.

And the athletes, they have them at Mission. Trust me they do!! 200+ players will get you enough of an assortment to find some good ones.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Junior Varsity

For all of you that are supporting Gilpin you obviously do not know him. Leadership is not about friendship. How do you expect a man to run a program when he himself can not follow policy or procedure. Some leader that would be.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by dakota337 View Post
    For all of you that are supporting Gilpin you obviously do not know him. Leadership is not about friendship. How do you expect a man to run a program when he himself can not follow policy or procedure. Some leader that would be.
    Ouch!!

What's that supposed to mean??? See that's why I asked what I asked earlier because people make comments and they have underlying meanings that most or people like me are not aware of. But don't you think that being in Charge of the actual and entire football program at the respective school would make him wanna prove himself and his goodness to the world?

Same thing at Mission. Some mention what happened many years ago with Pena while at LJ, but I say that is so long ago and I tell you the man will want nothing more than to be a class act that would work really hard to bring the Eagles program back to it's normal prominence of the past.

C'mon all eyes are gonna be on these guys and you bet they're gonna be extra careful to fulfill their duties in the most appropriate fashion/manner. IMO!!
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-08-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Junior Varsity

Dakota337- you obviously don't know the man at all- he has never been asked to leave a position and he has never been up in front of the UIL board and he has always been a leader - since his bb days at Mission High- If anyone has leadership skills he does and he will lead in a successful way if given the opportunity- Veterans needs him.

Junior Varsity

Mike Gaston has turned programs around A great man and good head coaching experience if Veterans lands him they will be better next year I'm sure Gilpin would do a fine job as well.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by BABYBOOMER View Post
    Dakota337- you obviously don't know the man at all- he has never been asked to leave a position and he has never been up in front of the UIL board and he has always been a leader - since his bb days at Mission High- If anyone has leadership skills he does and he will lead in a successful way if given the opportunity- Veterans needs him.
    Just because a coach does not go before UIL or is asked to leave a position does not mean he follows policy and procedure.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker47 View Post
    Mike Gaston has turned programs around A great man and good head coaching experience if Veterans lands him they will be better next year I'm sure Gilpin would do a fine job as well.
    Where and what is Gaston currently coaching??
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-08-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Junior Varsity

Thumbs up

Gaston was at SA Holmes. Last 2 years were not so hot, before that I dn't know. SA Holmes has not want since the guy at Laredo United left from Holmes to United. I forget his name, but he won at Nixon, Holmes, and United. Used to be a Run and Shoot guy. I think he learned from Casas at Mercedes where he was an assistant way back. I may be mistaken though...Things do go full circle though. The Laredo United coach is David Sanchez....proven winner he is.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota337 View Post
    HATE RUNS DEEP IN THE BLOOD HUH! "supporting" not befriended or friends with. Created the profile to just talk isshhhhh! Just figure he'd have the attention of the kids since he is so intense and has been in the Mission city high school athletic scene for nearly 20 years. (not junior high). Just saying. There are other candidates who "deserve" to be looked at too.

Quote Originally Posted by fine wine View Post
    Gaston was at SA Holmes. Last 2 years were not so hot, before that I dn't know. SA Holmes has not want since the guy at Laredo United left from Holmes to United. I forget his name, but he won at Nixon, Holmes, and United. Used to be a Run and Shoot guy. I think he learned from Casas at Mercedes where he was an assistant way back. I may be mistaken though...Things do go full circle though. The Laredo United coach is David Sanchez....proven winner he is.
    If you want to help this guys cause you'd NOT want to admit the highlighted. Wow.

MVP

The board meeting on Wednesday is to choose the HC at both schools?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePower View Post
    The board meeting on Wednesday is to choose the HC at both schools?
    The Board members will approve or not approve the recommended guys from the administration and their committees.

We'll see what happens. I'm sure you're ircking to get back to work with your new pilot in place.

Hope that any and all decisions are not based on favors, but on the best guy available being selected for the posts.
    Last edited by eagleprophet; 02-08-2009 at 09:42 PM.

MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eagleprophet View Post
    The Board members will approve or not approve the recommended guys from the administration and their committees.

We'll see what happens. I'm sure you're ircking to get back to world with your new pilot in place.

Hope that any and all decisions are not based on favors, but on the best guy available being selected for the posts.
    heh sorry but what exactly does that mean?

Junior Varsity

From what I hear Gaston is a good guy if you want to run all night- play selection is lacking, boring offense, we need some excitement in this town- put Gilpin at Vets and let's get a tradition started- he can make a difference because he is all about the kids- he could care less about who thinks what of him he wants to lead the kids to success and he is capable of dong it-

Thread Information