Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    All Star

LEE IS A REAL JOKER.

MVP

RGVSports.com

MISSION - The Mission CISD Board of Trustees named San Benito coach Mario Pena the next football coach/Athletic coordinator of Mission High, and David Gilpin to the same post at Mission Veterans Memorial.

Junior Varsity

the head coaches for both mission schools have been anounced

David Gilpin is the new head coach for mission vets.

Mario Pena is the head coach at mission high

MVP

How did Pena get the job? I thought he wasn't in the final 3??

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePower View Post
    Well I guess someone woke up and smelled the coffee!! I AM REALLY PROUD OF THE CHOICES THEY HAVE MADE!!
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Junior Varsity

Now that its all over I guess I should give my thoughts.

Mario Pena at MHS

He wasn't my first choice...but my top choices weren't even interviewed...

If you were gonna go with a Veteran guy...which I guess is what the board wanted for the MHS job...Pena was the best fit...he lives in Mission...he was an Eagle..and there is no question his teams are tough... He just may the disciplinarian that program needed as well.

I have always enjoyed working with Mario Pena...he gives great sound when we interview him...and his teams are usually fun to cover.

Biggest question... is he committed to throwing the ball? Frankly, he is a coach that coaches to what he has.. and right now he has the district's top returning quarterback...Mission will throw the football... don't worry... lets just hope they have some receivers ready to develop.

Congrats to Coach Pena...

As for David Gilpin.

I am glad to see that David is getting his first shot. Veterans is the school that they are allowing a first year guy and honestly he is a great motivator and has been an Asst under Dicus, Detmer, Cavazos, and has been at Vets all 7 years.

They are rolling the dice on David... but they are doing it with an alum who has bled Maroon and White and Blue, Red and Silver

Congrats to Coach Gilpin.

By the way we are working on getting interviews with both coaches tomorrow..

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ADB31 View Post
    Now that its all over I guess I should give my thoughts.

Mario Pena at MHS

He wasn't my first choice...but my top choices weren't even interviewed...

If you were gonna go with a Veteran guy...which I guess is what the board wanted for the MHS job...Pena was the best fit...he lives in Mission...he was an Eagle..and there is no question his teams are tough... He just may the disciplinarian that program needed as well.

I have always enjoyed working with Mario Pena...he gives great sound when we interview him...and his teams are usually fun to cover.

Biggest question... is he committed to throwing the ball? Frankly, he is a coach that coaches to what he has.. and right now he has the district's top returning quarterback...Mission will throw the football... don't worry... lets just hope they have some receivers ready to develop.

Congrats to Coach Pena...

As for David Gilpin.

I am glad to see that David is getting his first shot. Veterans is the school that they are allowing a first year guy and honestly he is a great motivator and has been an Asst under Dicus, Detmer, Cavazos, and has been at Vets all 7 years.

They are rolling the dice on David... but they are doing it with an alum who has bled Maroon and White and Blue, Red and Silver

Congrats to Coach Gilpin.

By the way we are working on getting interviews with both coaches tomorrow..
    I just think the community got what they wanted overrall. Of course, now it is time for these fellas to put their people in their places and see what becomes of the Eagles and Patriots. I could possibly see these two teams in the playoffs next season.

Pena will have lots of pressure to do well as he has been through the trenches whereas Gilpin will be given more of an opportunity to develop what is there at Veterans.
    Mission Eagles----2009 32 AAAA District Champions!!!!! The EAGLE has taken off, YOUR TEAM must prepare for landing!!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePower View Post
    cuz they knew the top 2 candidates werent exactly up to par so they called MP

All Star

Cool

Does anyone have any predictions for veterans and mission high's record next year?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by patriotrhino95 View Post
    Does anyone have any predictions for veterans and mission high's record next year?
    Mission 7-3 Vets 6-4 both lose some games early on, but will challenge for district.

Junior Varsity

Default Good Job School Board!!! It was almost a joke!!!

After meeting in executive session the following personnel recommendations were approved:Mario Pena as the Mission High
    School head football coach/athletic coordinator in a six to one vote with Iglesias voting against the motion; and
    David Gilpin as the Veterans Memorial High School head football coach/athletic coordinator, in a unanimous
    vote.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger64 View Post
    After meeting in executive session the following personnel recommendations were approved:Mario Pena as the Mission High
    School head football coach/athletic coordinator in a six to one vote with Iglesias voting against the motion; and
    David Gilpin as the Veterans Memorial High School head football coach/athletic coordinator, in a unanimous
    vote.
    Whose going to be OC/DC for both schools respectively?
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold", UNOOOO.......

All Star

both goin to play-offs?
    predict the district champ?

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Firethatburnswithin View Post
    Whose going to be OC/DC for both schools respectively?
    Are they gonna be allowed to bring in their own oc/dc or do they have to employ from last years staff. Rumor has it- no teaching slot availability - can't come over. How true is this?

Super Moderator

thats true in alot of cases you have to look at teaching slots avability and if district allows the coach/teacher to leave there school while school is in progress

Junior Varsity

Default Coach Gilpin IS the Head Coach!

By the way - Congrats Coach Gilpin!!!!
    A well deserved honor. Now lets WIN some football games!

Congratulations to coach Gilpin. I hope Pena will work hard for all sports as coordinator. Because he was an athletic director I think and have heard he will.

I still think the board is crooked in many ways, but this time it looks like what is best for our town has happened.

Now we just need to give the guys room to build their programs.

Junior Varsity

Exclamation PENA, BRING LUPE BACK TO MISSION

OC should be Lupe Rodirguez, Im sure they will find room for him he is a legend in mission. Bring him back and He can finally have a QB that is coachable and willing to learn. I know if I was a player and I knew his past as a Player, I would take every word he says to heart and get better. He would have a great kid in Gilbert who was newcomer of the year. He didnt have that at valley view! To me it was the purgatory of football, no disrespect. LUPE needs his chance to develop a QB!

He can rap too!!!!
    Last edited by tonytiger64; 02-11-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger64 View Post
    OC should be Lupe Rodirguez, Im sure they will find room for him he is a legend in mission. Bring him back and He can finally have a QB that is coachable and willing to learn. I know if I was a player and I knew his past as a Player, I would take every word he says to heart and get better. He would have a great kid in Gilbert who was newcomer of the year. He didnt have that at valley view! To me it was the purgatory of football, no disrespect. LUPE needs his chance to develop a QB!

He can rap too!!!!
    Is this you Lupe? Right now, that is not his 1st choice..If I was a betting man, I'D BET ON IT...
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold", UNOOOO.......

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Firethatburnswithin View Post
    Is this you Lupe? Right now, that is not his 1st choice..If I was a betting man, I'D BET ON IT...
    What the blogger or the rapper? if blogger no! if rapper yes! lol

Thread Information