Welcome to the 956 Sports Forum.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 1998 PI TARPONS

  1. #1

    Default 1998 PI TARPONS

    I have to talk about this group because just like RH that year both teams were returning a good number of players....

    The way I saw it was that RH and PI in '98 were supposed to contend for the district title.

    We had beaten La Feria the year before and Raymondville was beatable as LF had beaten them in the past and so had PI....so RH felt could do really well against them.

    Anyway, I felt that if PI used Roel Martinez at HB, Ruben Castillo at FB, and Hoshino at TB that would've been a hellacious backfield.

    Castillo was a beast on both sides of the ball.

    Manny Martinez had come back from a torn up knee and surprisingly was playing like he had never gotten hurt.

    Benny Martinez was better on defense rather than offense.

    That senior group had won district throughout Jr.High and a few ended up on varsity as sophomores that went to the third round losing to Sealy.
    SIZE=4]"Unum non potest sine defectione"[/SIZE]

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    I have to talk about this group because just like RH that year both teams were returning a good number of players....

    The way I saw it was that RH and PI in '98 were supposed to contend for the district title.

    We had beaten La Feria the year before and Raymondville was beatable as LF had beaten them in the past and so had PI....so RH felt could do really well against them.

    Anyway, I felt that if PI used Roel Martinez at HB, Ruben Castillo at FB, and Hoshino at TB that would've been a hellacious backfield.

    Castillo was a beast on both sides of the ball.

    Manny Martinez had come back from a torn up knee and surprisingly was playing like he had never gotten hurt.

    Benny Martinez was better on defense rather than offense.

    That senior group had won district throughout Jr.High and a few ended up on varsity as sophomores that went to the third round losing to Sealy.
    I perdict that every P.I. peep in here is going to comment that they blame it all on the COACHING starting with Pena and ending with Infante.
    TarponFan_inLiveOak.

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't understand that....I felt that Pena should've known what it took to keep PI an elite team. But, that wasn't the case.
    SIZE=4]"Unum non potest sine defectione"[/SIZE]

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    I don't understand that....I felt that Pena should've known what it took to keep PI an elite team. But, that wasn't the case.
    I'm just going to say that Pena was a nice/good coach to have on your staff, but he was not Head Coach Material. Most if not all of the P.I. peeps in here know why he got the job as Head Coach. I will also add that it didn't help that P.I lost their D.C. (Coach V) to Los Fresnos from 96-98.
    Last edited by Holdem-D; 02-15-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    TarponFan_inLiveOak.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holdem-D View Post
    I'm just going to say that Pena was a nice/good coach to have on your staff, but he was not Head Coach Material. Most if not all of the P.I. peeps in here know why he got the job as Head Coach. I will also add that it didn't help that P.I lost their D.C. (Coach V) to Los Fresnos from 96-98.
    I don't know why Coach V never wanted to be an HC again after taking RGC to the playoffs and winning a couple of District titles with them in the early '80s.

    Not to talk bad about a great coach. I'm just saying why didn't or wouldn't he have taken the HC job when Tony V left?
    SIZE=4]"Unum non potest sine defectione"[/SIZE]

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    I don't know why Coach V never wanted to be an HC again after taking RGC to the playoffs and winning a couple of District titles with them in the early '80s.

    Not to talk bad about a great coach. I'm just saying why didn't or wouldn't he have taken the HC job when Tony V left?
    Ok, first of all according to my knowledge Coach V (Eliseo Villarreal) was the D.C. for P.I. from 1973-1995 and 1999-2001. Anyways the talk around town about him not wanting to be the H.C. according to some of my family members had to do with the fact that he did not want to deal with the politics that came with being P.I. H.C. during that time. Coach V played the best players at his disposal on defense no matter what. He would not play kids simply because they were the son of a high profile person in P.I. He did not play favoritism to no one. He was the type of coach that if you messed up in one play he would replace you with someone else if your head was not in the game.
    TarponFan_inLiveOak.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holdem-D View Post
    Ok, first of all according to my knowledge Coach V (Eliseo Villarreal) was the D.C. for P.I. from 1973-1995 and 1999-2001. Anyways the talk around town about him not wanting to be the H.C. according to some of my family members had to do with the fact that he did not want to deal with the politics that came with being P.I. H.C. during that time. Coach V played the best players at his disposal on defense no matter what. He would not play kids simply because they were the son of a high profile person in P.I. He did not play favoritism to no one. He was the type of coach that if you messed up in one play he would replace you with someone else if your head was not in the game.
    According to sources....he WAS the HC at RGC from '82-'84...then came back to PI. He had RGC winning too.

    I can understand the politics, that's everywhere. But, what if he HAD become PI's HC after the '95 season?

    That's the 65K question.
    SIZE=4]"Unum non potest sine defectione"[/SIZE]

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
    According to sources....he WAS the HC at RGC from '82-'84...then came back to PI. He had RGC winning too.

    I can understand the politics, that's everywhere. But, what if he HAD become PI's HC after the '95 season?

    That's the 65K question.
    R.G.C. Rattlers Football
    RECORDS FROM 1960-2007
    YEAR DISTRICT W L T COACH
    2007 30-AAAAA 5 5 0 Jesus Lozano
    2006 30-AAAAA 7 4 0 Jesus Lozano
    2005 30-AAAAA 2 7 0 Greg Lara
    2004 30-AAAAA 3 6 0 Greg Lara
    2003 31-AAAAA 2 7 0 Daniel Martinez
    2002 31-AAAAA 3 7 0 Daniel Martinez
    2001 31-AAAAA 3 7 0 Jorge Pena
    2000 31-AAAAA 6 4 0 Jorge Pena
    1999 30-AAAAA 6 5 0 Jorge Pena
    1998 30-AAAAA 7 6 0 Jorge Pena
    1997 31-AAAAA 2 8 0 John Lerma
    1996 31-AAAAA 3 7 0 John Lerma
    1995 31-AAAAA 1 9 0 John C. Lerma
    1994 31-AAAAA 2 7 1 Jorge Pena
    1993 31-AAAAA 7 3 0 Jorge Pena
    1992 31-AAAAA 6 3 1 Jorge Pena
    1991 31-AAAAA 1 9 0 Jorge Pena
    1990 31-AAAAA 3 7 0 Jorge Pena
    1989 31-AAAAA 7 3 0 Jorge Pena
    1988 31-AAAAA 2 7 0 Ramiro Villegas
    1987 31-AAAAA 5 5 0 Ramiro Villegas
    1986 31-AAAAA 4 6 0 Ramiro Villegas
    1985 16-AAAA 6 3 2 Ramiro Villegas
    1984 16-AAAA 9 3 0 Ramiro Villegas
    1983 16-AAAA 7 4 0 Ramiro Villegas
    1982 16-AAAA 7 3 1 Chico Jimenez
    1981 16-AAAA 4 6 0 Alex Leal
    1980 16-AAAA 3 7 0 Alex Leal
    1979 16-AAA 1 9 0 Walter Watson
    1978 16-AAA 5 4 1 Oscar Perez
    1977 16-AAA 5 4 1 Oscar Perez
    1976 16-AAA 4 6 0 Oscar Perez
    1975 16-AAA 1 9 0 Don Cummings
    1974 16-AAA 0 9 1 Roel Maldonado
    1973 16-AAA 0 10 0 Roel Maldonado
    1972 16-AAA 7 3 0 Eliseo Villarreal
    1971 16-AAA 7 3 0 Gilbert Musquiz
    1970 16-AAA 2 8 0 Gilbert Musquiz
    1969 16-AAA 2 8 0 Efrain Vela
    1968 16-AAA 1 8 1 Efrain Vela
    1967 16-AAA 3 7 0 Efrain Vela
    1966 16-AAA 4 6 0 Efrain Vela
    1965 16-AAA 2 8 0 E.C. Lerma
    1964 16-AAA 4 6 0 E.C. Lerma
    1963 16-AAA 6 3 1 E.C. Lerma
    1962 16-AAA 4 6 0 E.C. Lerma
    1961 16-AAA 7 2 1 E.C. Lerma
    1960 16-AAA 7 3 0 E.C. Lerma

    like i said earlier, Pena was going to be the next coach no matter what. His dad was the schools superintendend at the time.
    Last edited by Holdem-D; 02-15-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    TarponFan_inLiveOak.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    4,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holdem-D View Post
    Ok, first of all according to my knowledge Coach V (Eliseo Villarreal) was the D.C. for P.I. from 1973-1995 and 1999-2001. Anyways the talk around town about him not wanting to be the H.C. according to some of my family members had to do with the fact that he did not want to deal with the politics that came with being P.I. H.C. during that time. Coach V played the best players at his disposal on defense no matter what. He would not play kids simply because they were the son of a high profile person in P.I. He did not play favoritism to no one. He was the type of coach that if you messed up in one play he would replace you with someone else if your head was not in the game.
    That is pretty much what it was. But also he felt strongly that if he focused on the defense, which he loved to coach, he would have more time and be a far better and effective coach than if he were to become the headcoach. And he proved that for a long time in PI. As a headcoach he would have not been able to commit that focus and that was how he felt.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •