November 17th, 2016 at 6:58pm CST by Connor Byrne
Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles landed on injured reserve Nov. 1 because he needed surgery on his right knee, in which he tore his ACL last season. It turns out Charles also underwent surgery on his left knee Thursday, but it actually increases the odds of a return this year, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (video link). Charles has now had the meniscus in each knee trimmed, not repaired, and could be a factor for the Chiefs if they make the playoffs. Despite having only gotten 12 carries from the four-time Pro Bowler this year, the 7-2 Chiefs are currently the AFC’s second seed and look bound for the postseason.
More from the AFC:
- With Oakland and Houston set to meet this week, Raiders quarterback Derek Carr revealed Thursday that the Texans never talked to him in advance of the 2014 draft (Twitter link via Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle). Of course, Carr’s brother, the now-retired David Carr, was the Texans’ first-ever draft pick as an expansion franchise in 2002. David flamed out in Houston, though he had little help, while Derek has become one of the NFL’s best signal-callers since going 36th overall in his class. The Texans could have taken Carr at No. 33, but they chose guard Xavier Su’a-Filo instead. Su’a-Filo has started in 19 of 33 appearances, including all nine this year, and currently ranks 61st in overall performance among Pro Football Focus’ 81 qualified guards.
- Dolphins left tackle Branden Albert underwent left wrist surgery Thursday and is now week-to-week, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. Another integral Dolphins O-lineman – center Mike Pouncey – aggravated the hip injury that has kept him out of four games this year, putting his status in doubt, per Salguero. It’s not a career-threatening issue for Pouncey, who has undergone three hip surgeries since 2014, but it’s unknown how much time he’ll miss. The resurgent Dolphins, winners of four straight and owners of a 5-4 record, are likely to start Laremy Tunsil at left tackle and Anthony Steen at center against the Rams on Sunday.
- Now eligible to return from his one-year ban, Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith says he “won’t be defeated,” as EastBayTimes.com’s Jimmy Durkin writes. “I won’t take no for answer,” Smith said. “I won’t be defeated. You’ve got to understand that it’s your life. You control it. You can’t let nobody else control it. It doesn’t matter what they try to do to you. And most importantly, God put you here for a reason so make the best out of your life, your situation and be a blessing to somebody else and show the world what you’re worth.” Smith got the ball rolling on his reinstatement late last month.
Zach Links contributed to this post.